Friday, March 18, 2011

A great woman.

Day 14/100
A picture of someone you could never imagine your life without.

There are a great number of people that if I were to consider them never crossing my path, that I could not forget them. The number is even greater of those that I will forget. However, there is a special place for those that have come before and linger long after.

To have someone that cares for you when you are at your weakest; hugs you when you are covered in dirt and mud; who puts food on the table before you even know you're hungry; that person is a blessing. Grandma Dodson was a blessing with her presence and continues to be a blessing in this world with her prayers and her lessons. The lessons were never written or spoken, just experienced. The prayers were never heard, but felt. The thanks and praise never ended, even when the only thanks she could muster was for the patience God gave her.

I can never remember an ounce of sarcasm escaping her. Even my parents and older family friends remember her as gracious, patient and strong. My siblings and I sat down for a conversation at one point and came to the conclusion that God has shown such favor in our lives. As good theologians we knew that this favor came from none of our own actions but The Great Sacrifice provided. We all grinned widely as my brother pointed out that it probably didn't hurt with all the praying Grandma Dodson did for us.

My grandmother, Grandma Dodson, was everything to be hoped for in a matriarch. The door to the backporch was always open to friends. The front door was locked, protecting the family, while still providing a welcoming porch for unexpected guests. Gardens were more than pretty flowers, they were a place to bring food to the table. Oh, and praise God in Heaven for how he has blessed country grandmothers and their cooking. If there is any one phrase to live by it is to "break bread together". To give any indication of how important this was, at her funeral, the pastor spoke of her desserts. She taught me that loving hugs hold on tight for the time they are allowed, and when the other pulls away you let them. As people go, they may leave empty handed, but not on an empty stomach. Every night you talk to God, and He listens. When we finally slow down enough to let our heads rest; to wipe sweat from our eyes; to feel the earth under our feet, the sun on our face and air in our lungs we know that God is talking back. He speaks, without wavering or weakness, "I love you."

Grandma Dodson knew this. She did not keep it to her family or just her children, though it seems the words were a little more special in those circumstances. She gave of her time with the shut-in. She gave of her money towards the less fortunate. She gave of her prayers to any who needed. In all she did I believe she gave of her heart, for she had come to know the Heart of God. That Heart was Love, and she is happy to be home. I could imagine my life without her and it tears me to pieces. Instead, I rejoice in the importance she still carries in my life.

I Love You.

1 comment: