Monday, June 20, 2011

Eggs and Raccoons

I recently received a wonderful compliment on my wife. We were taking turns expressing what the other does really well while admitting to what we find as our own short-comings. I complimented Jess' ability to be able to throw a meal together in a flash and it still have a delicious and homemade taste. Though I spend time in the kitchen and enjoy cooking I wasn't expecting this as my compliment, "You're a really good meal planner. You can just open a cookbook and find things that will work. You're also not afraid to try a new recipe." WHOA!

Now, I've never been much of a planner. I also tend to cook the same things over and over again (I'm talking to you baked chicken), so the trying new recipes seems like a rare occurrance. However, it was fitting on this night. I was browsing the recipes in last month's "Real Simple", here I'll admit it is my subscription and not Jess', and came upon a 25-30min. recipe for tomatoes with cheese and pasta. Super delicious, super easy and makes a serving of four that comes out to a price around $3.50 per person. It is possible to come out cheaper as I was using fancy speghetti, fresh mozarella and a la-de-da blend of parmesan and romano cheese. I think it was quite tasty.
*Edit 6/24/11 - I misquoted my wife. I am not a good "meal planner", I do however pick out good recipes.*
Over last weekend we also enjoyed a nice night of ribs to celebrate father's day. Before dinner a storm had passed through, and as it ended we heard piddle-puppy (their dog with a weak bladder) letting out an alarmed bark. Jess' family goes to the door to see what is going on and immediately go outside, my curiosity is too much to resist and I follow suit. Piddle-puppy is running circles around a small black dot barely moving on the ground, as we get closer it becomes clear, this knot of fur crawling around is a baby raccoon! The dog hadn't harmed it, but we believe the storm winds had blown it out of a tree. I took the task, nay, the honor, of putting the little one back in the tree. Such a cute creature, I wish that I could have kept it and had a pet raccoon. I mean, most animals bath themselves in someway. What about a pet that could wash it's hands before every meal?! That's just awesome. As I held the tiny creature, my heart melted when those dexterous fingers wrapped around mine and I felt it's weak grip. God doesn't lie when he says he will use the weak to humble the strong. I hope it survived. Jess' family hasn't heard or seen from it again. However, if they do, I may have to start up my own wildlife shelter. I think my wife will be okay with that so long as I don't bring in any opossums. (She doesn't like rat-like, hairless, tails.)

No comments:

Post a Comment